Milk fever prevention with a calcium bolus
Our calcium bolus Calcitop is a fast-acting calcium supplement designed to solve a calcium deficiency (hypocalcemia) around calving. This deficiency will cause a lower feed intake and milk production and could potentially lead to (subclinical) milk fever. Especially from the second calving and later cows are sensitive to it. You can read everything about milk fever on our blog.
Our calcium bolus can be used for cows over 250 kg
To help prevent milk fever even better, we designed probably the best calcium bolus in the world. So how is this new formula better than the old one? Simple! In every way… The new Calcitop has more calcium, more phosphorus, more magnesium, and more vitamin D3. Hold your breath, because we are going to dive into the numbers!
- The amount of calcium is increased by 22%: from 21,3 grams per bolus to 26 grams
- The amount of phosphorus is increased by 70%: from 4,7 grams per bolus to 8 grams
- The amount of magnesium is increased by 25%: from 0,9 grams per bolus to 1,2 grams
- The vitamin D3 is increased by 30%: from 17 000 UI per bolus to 22 135UI
Milk fever prevention
Benefits of our calcium bolus?
- Instant release of calcium
- Each bolus contains 26 grams of calcium, 8 grams of phosphorus
- Contains 22 135 UI vitamin D3 per bolus for an even better calcium absorption
- Prevention of calcium deficiency and milk fever
- Beneficial effects on important health parameters like insemination, culling mastitis, uterine disorders, and lameness.
- Easy administration: 2 boluses fit in one applicator
- Acute milk fever treatment: after a calcium infusion to get the cow back on her feet the calcium levels remain low and need to be further increased by administering extra calcium through a calcium bolus
Why a bolus?
- Easy in use
- Easy storage and transportation
- No need to give daily supplements
- No need to calculate supplementary feed
- Each cow gets the right dose
- No spilling
The effects of postpartum hypocalcemia can be counterbalanced with Calcitop supplementation of the cows after calving
Dosage and administration
Dosage around calving
- 2 Calcitop boluses 12 to 24 hours before calving
- 2 Calcitop boluses immediately after calving
- 1-2 Calcitop boluses 10 - 12 hours after calving
- 1-2 Calcitop boluses 24 hours after calving
Dosage after calcium infusion when the cow is standing up again
- 2 Calcitop Boluses 2 hours after the infusion
- 2 Calcitop Boluses 12 hours after the infusion
Orally, with the help of a bolus applicator
- Our calcium bolus Calcitop comes in a box of 12 boluses of 95 gram
- Expiry date: shelf life of 2 years after the production date
- Store dry, protected from extreme temperatures and out of reach of children